Qatar Lays Down Laws and Reforms to Protect OFWs in Their Country

The Qatar government had laid down their laws and reforms to Philippine officials which aim to protect the migrant workers in their country.

According to Labor undersecretary Ciriaco Lagunzad, Qatar is currently implementing dispute settlement system comprising of 3 committees who will process the cases.

Labor Attache David Dicang claimed the said committee will work hand in hand with the Ministry of Justice and Labor in a period of 21 days to resolve the reported cases.

In the latest report made by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), there are about 250,000 Filipino workers in Qatar where 51% among them are rendering household services and the other 49% are professionals.

In an interview, Lagunzad claimed,“We ended the meeting with a very positive note. He updated us about the reforms that they have implemented both in the legislation and administrative measures to protect our workers. We understand that this legislation will be released or issued in the very near future.”

The said visit by the labor delegates in Qatar is part of the Philippine government’s initiative to check on the working conditions of OFWs (Overseas Filipino Workers) in Kuwait after numerous cases of abuse, maltreatment and mysterious deaths had been noted among Filipino migrant workers.

President Rodrigo Duterte previously threatened to raise deployment ban in the Middle East if Kuwait government will not sign the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), an agreement between the two countries which will give protection to the Filipinos.

As of this writing, negotiations are still going on for the said agreement.

The labor delegates are also scheduled to visit Kuwait after visiting Saudi Arabia.


Share Your Comments!


Leave a Reply